MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid
The 896 Mk3 Hybrid audio interface delivers advanced design, high-end performance, superb sound, and universal "hybrid" FireWire/USB2 connectivity to your Mac or Windows computer.
Hybrid FireWire / USB2 connectivity
As a hybrid audio interface, the 896 MK3 Hybrid provides flexible connectivity to any Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0, with eight channels of pristine 24-bit 192 kHz analog recording and playback, combined with sixteen channels of optical digital I/O, stereo AES/EBU, S/PDIF and separate analog main outs. Expand your system by connecting the 8pre mic input expander or other MOTU audio interfaces.
The 896 MK3 Hybrid is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As an interface or standalone mixer, the 896 MK3 Hybrid provides 28 separate inputs and 32 separate outputs, including dedicated main outs on XLRs and two front panel headphone outs.
On-board digital mixer with effects for monitoring and live mixing
Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route and process all of these live inputs using the professional on-board CueMix FX digital mixer – with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host computer. Add Classic Reverb™ with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with 7-band parametric EQ featuring filter types carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two forms of compression: a conventional compressor and the Leveler™, an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A™ optical compressor that provides vintage, musical automatic gain control.
When recording from the analog inputs, the 896 MK3’s signal overload protection gives you an extra 12 dB of headroom above zero with no clipping or harsh artifacts.
Advanced audio analysis tools
Analyze and scope your audio with advanced diagnostic tools, including a full-screen real-time FFT display, spectrogram "waterfall" display, full-featured oscilloscope, X-Y plot, and linear/polar phase analysis graphs.
Stand-alone operation as a mixer
After programming the on-board mixing in the studio, unplug the 896 MK3 Hybrid from the computer and take it on the road for operation as a stand-alone mixer with effects. All mixing and effects parameters are adjustable using the front panel backlit LCD.
The 896 MK3 Hybrid provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac and Windows and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.
- Hybrid FireWire/USB2 connectivity - connect to your computer via plug-and-play FireWire or hi-speed USB2
- CueMix FX is a flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP effects, including reverb with sends/returns, plus EQ and compression on every input and output
- 28 inputs / 32 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz)
- No channel sharing - the microphone inputs, AES/EBU and S/PDIF I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels
- Front-panel control with access to any setting in a mix directly from the front panel
- Stand-alone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the unit to a gig without a computer
- Need to tweak the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes (create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones or add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency)
- Eight rear panel combo jacks provide 1/4" or XLR microphone input with phantom power, pad and plenty of gain
- Clip protection - input limiter prevents digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels up to +12dB over zero
- Eight 24-bit/192kHz analog inputs and outputs on XLR jacks
- Precision Digital Trim digitally controls analog trim on all analog inputs while providing accurate adjustments in 1.0dB increments
- Fine-tune the balance of your analog inputs and then save/recall trim configurations
- Flexible optical I/O - 16 channels of ADAT Lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz) or two pairs of stereo TOSLink
- Mix and match formats between the two banks
- Expandable by adding additional interfaces for more I/O as needs grow
- Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control
- 24-bit/96kHz AES/EBU stereo I/O
- 24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF stereo I/O
- Wordclock in and out
- CueMix FX includes audio analysis visual diagnostic tools for the stereo audio signals, from an accurate guitar/instrument tuner to phase and polarity measurement tools, to a full-fledged oscilloscope
- Resolve directly to time code, with no additional synchronizer required via one of the analog input jacks
- Includes a DSP-driven phase-lock engine with sophisticated filtering that provides fast lockup times and sub-frame accuracy
- MOTU SMPTE Console software (for Mac OS X and Windows 7/Vista) provides a complete set of tools to generate SMPTE for striping, regenerating or slaving other devices to the computer
- Foot switch input (conveniently located on the front panel) connects a standard foot pedal switch (sold separately) for hands-free punch-in and punch-out while recording
- Map the pedal to any keystroke function in the host software
- Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and Windows 7/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Macintosh with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing and sample-accurate sync
- Plug-and-play operation with Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0
- Front panel volume control for monitoring
- Stereo, Quad, 6.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups available
- Two front panel headphone jacks with independent volume controls
- Comprehensive front panel metering for all analog and digital audio I/O
- Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs
What's in the box?
- MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid
- Power Cable
- FireWire B Cable
- USB Cable
- Software CD ROM